Monday, July 29, 2013

Risotto With Vegetables


This recipe is taken from the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book
2-cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil or cooking oil (I used olive oil)
1 cup Arborio rice (I used regular long grain rice)
3 cups vegetable or chicken broth (I used vegetable broth)
3/4 cup bite-size asparagus or broccoli pieces (I used broccoli)
3/4 cup seeded and diced tomato (I did not seed my tomato)
1/4 cup shredded carrot (1 small)
1 cup shredded fontina or muenster cheese (4 ounces) (I used muenster)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I used fresh grated Parmesan and not the powdery kind)
3 tablespoons snipped fresh basil or parsley (I used basil 1/2 fresh and 1/2 dried as I ran out of fresh)
Tomato slices (optional) (I did not use this)

1. In a large saucepan cook mushrooms, onion, and garlic in hot oil till onion is tender.  Add uncooked rice.  cook and stir over medium heat about 5 minutes more or till rice is golden.
2.  Meanwhile, in another saucepan bring broth to boiling; reduce heat and simmer.  Slowly add 1 cup of the broth to the rice mixture, stirring constantly.  Continue to cook and stir over medium heat till liquid is absorbed.  Add another 1/2 cup of the broth and the asparagus or broccoli to the rice mixture, stirring constantly.  Continue to cook and stir till liquid is absorbed.  Add another 1/2 cup broth at a time, stirring constantly till the broth has been absorbed.  Repeat adding 1/2 cup broth and stirring until it is absorbed until you have 1/2 cup broth left.
3.  Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup broth, the tomato, and carrot.  Cook and stir till rice is slightly creamy and just tender.  Stir in fontina or Muenster cheese, Parmesan cheese, and basil or parsley.  If desired, garnish with tomato slices.  Serve immediately.  Makes about 4 cups (4 main-dish or 6 to 8 side dish servings.

***I doubled this recipe because I have a larger family and needed left overs for my husband to take to work the next day.  This dish turned out delicious.  Even my daughter who hates mushrooms and tomatoes loved this dish, mushrooms, tomatoes, and all.  I served this as the main dish and had garlic bread on the side.  I finished the meal with homemade lemon bars.  It got rave reviews from the kids and my husband.  This is a sure win for us!  Great way to sneak in vegetables for those picky eaters!

No comments:

Post a Comment